atom feed19 messages in edu.oswego.cs.concurrency-interestRe: [concurrency-interest] The Atomic...
FromSent OnAttachments
David M. LloydJul 14, 2012 11:01 am
Doug LeaJul 14, 2012 11:17 am
Stanimir SimeonoffJul 14, 2012 1:01 pm
√iktor ҠlangJul 14, 2012 1:16 pm
Rémi ForaxJul 14, 2012 2:20 pm
Stanimir SimeonoffJul 14, 2012 2:58 pm
Rémi ForaxJul 14, 2012 3:44 pm
Doug LeaJul 15, 2012 3:37 am
David HolmesJul 15, 2012 4:14 am
√iktor ҠlangJul 15, 2012 8:22 am
David M. LloydJul 15, 2012 9:19 am
Jed Wesley-SmithJul 15, 2012 7:31 pm
David HolmesJul 15, 2012 7:35 pm
David M. LloydJul 15, 2012 7:43 pm
David HolmesJul 15, 2012 7:52 pm
Jason T. GreeneJul 20, 2012 11:42 am
David HolmesJul 20, 2012 6:34 pm
David M. LloydJul 22, 2012 1:47 pm
Doug LeaJul 23, 2012 3:44 am
Subject:Re: [concurrency-interest] The Atomic*FieldUpdater situation
From:David M. Lloyd (davi@redhat.com)
Date:Jul 15, 2012 9:19:11 am
List:edu.oswego.cs.concurrency-interest

On 07/15/2012 06:14 AM, David Holmes wrote:

David M. Lloyd writes:

What is the purpose of the access-time access check in the atomic field updater classes?

Do you mean the ensureProtectedAccess check?

This is to ensure that you can't get an updater for a protected inherited field in SubtypeA, then use that updater to access/modify the field in an instance of SubtypeB.

Which is ridiculous because if a subclass "inherited" access to a normal protected field on my class, I'd still be able to access it directly in the base class... because fields aren't actually inherited.

If I construct an atomic field updater, to me, this should be exactly equivalent to having an accessible=true Field instance. If I want to manage the visibility of that instance, I will restrict access to the updater itself.

The problem, as I am sure you are all well aware, is that when the updater classes are used on an object instance which is subclassed, even if the field being updated, the field updater, and the method calling into the field updater all exist on the base class and are private, an expensive access check has to occur.

Now you've lost me. Which access check is this? All of the methods do:

if (obj == null || obj.getClass() != tclass || cclass != null) fullCheck(obj);

where fullCheck is:

private void fullCheck(T obj) { if (!tclass.isInstance(obj)) throw new ClassCastException(); if (cclass != null) ensureProtectedAccess(obj); }

and ensureProtectedAccess is:

private void ensureProtectedAccess(T obj) { if (cclass.isInstance(obj)) { return; } throw new RuntimeException( new IllegalAccessException("Class " + cclass.getName() + " can not access a protected member of class " + tclass.getName() + " using an instance of " + obj.getClass().getName() ) ); }

So if everything is in the same class we don't do any additional checks.

I believe this is inaccurate. If I have a private static updater for a private field in the base class, and even if I access the updater only from the base class, the additional checks are still run because obj.getClass() != tclass (it's actually a subclass, not tclass).

But even if it weren't, the original access check is relatively expensive and completely unneeded. Even assuming these access checks aren't completely pointless, which of course they are - if I want public access to a private field, I'd make the updater public. If I want private access then the updater will be private. No access-time checks are necessary; all the appropriate verification should have been done (usually at class init) when the updater is constructed by examining the caller class. And I strongly, *strongly* doubt there is any code in the wild which relies on these access-time checks to ensure access protection.

And while I'm on this tirade - the whole design of using subclasses for the different variations in updater implementation seems unnecessary. If it were all in one final class, and the VM_SUPPORTS_LONG_CAS flag were a constant static field (which of course it is), then having e.g. compareAndSet be implemented like this:

public /*final*/ boolean compareAndSet(T obj, long expect, long update) { if (VM_SUPPORTS_LONG_CAS) { return unsafe.compareAndSwapLong(obj, offset, expect, update); } else synchronized (this) { long v = unsafe.getLong(obj, offset); if (v != expect) return false; unsafe.putLong(obj, offset, update); return true; } }

...it seems to me that the method is much more likely to be inlined, and furthermore the un-followed branch should be elided, which would essentially make this a single instruction on most platforms.

Even when the class is final, the access check is still expensive relative to the operation itself!

I mean I'm using field updaters in the first place because I can't afford to have a jillion Atomic* objects floating around; obviously performance is critical here. And to add to this problem, you can't even rely on using Unsafe, even though it's becoming more and more prevalent in JDKs, as some platforms may not have atomic 64-bit operations, and there's no way I can see to test for that other than relying on the AtomicLong implementation to be similar to OpenJDK's.

Is there any recourse to solve this issue?