atom feed9 messages in edu.oswego.cs.concurrency-interestRe: [concurrency-interest] Using Atom...
FromSent OnAttachments
Ariel WeisbergFeb 13, 2013 12:41 pm
Vitaly DavidovichFeb 13, 2013 12:51 pm
Ariel WeisbergFeb 13, 2013 1:45 pm
Vitaly DavidovichFeb 13, 2013 2:15 pm
Aaron GrunthalFeb 13, 2013 7:37 pm
Chris DennisFeb 14, 2013 8:15 am
Ariel WeisbergFeb 14, 2013 8:56 am
Vitaly DavidovichFeb 14, 2013 9:31 am
Nathan ReynoldsFeb 14, 2013 9:41 am
Subject:Re: [concurrency-interest] Using Atomic*FieldUpdater to remove indirection
From:Vitaly Davidovich (vita@gmail.com)
Date:Feb 14, 2013 9:31:04 am
List:edu.oswego.cs.concurrency-interest

Yes reading volatile into a temp will get you a register/stack slot.

To be safe, you should pad before and after. No guarantees on object layout but you can take advantage of knowing hotspot's default layout (fields laid out in increasing representation size, references last I believe).

Arrays are contiguous blobs of memory but are heap allocated separately (they're not embedded in the object itself but referenced).