atom feed9 messages in edu.oswego.cs.concurrency-interestRe: [concurrency-interest] Using Atom...
FromSent OnAttachments
Ariel WeisbergFeb 13, 2013 12:41 pm
Vitaly DavidovichFeb 13, 2013 12:51 pm
Ariel WeisbergFeb 13, 2013 1:45 pm
Vitaly DavidovichFeb 13, 2013 2:15 pm
Aaron GrunthalFeb 13, 2013 7:37 pm
Chris DennisFeb 14, 2013 8:15 am
Ariel WeisbergFeb 14, 2013 8:56 am
Vitaly DavidovichFeb 14, 2013 9:31 am
Nathan ReynoldsFeb 14, 2013 9:41 am
Subject:Re: [concurrency-interest] Using Atomic*FieldUpdater to remove indirection
From:Ariel Weisberg (ari@weisberg.ws)
Date:Feb 14, 2013 8:56:12 am
List:edu.oswego.cs.concurrency-interest

Hi,

I only need this to work on x86_64 so I should be fine with volatile reads of references. The only path that has to be fast is reading the field, updating can be slow (and is).

Will storing the [1]volatile field onto a stack variable give me a snapshot of the value?

Another question I have is about the padding suggestion. I looked at how it is done in Exchanger with the 15 long fields. What guarantees are there for field ordering and alignment of the allocated object WRT to cache lines? It seems like you might need to pad both before and after the field that is contended.

Is there a difference between storing a reference to a properly padded object for contended fields vs adding the padding directly to the object containing the contended field? What about array fields (primitives, and objects), are they ever stored inside the object or are they always separate allocations?

Thanks,

Ariel